Protonmail offers easy access to your email account on all devices such as Android and iPhone among others. You can also synchronize your Protonmail email account with your other email provider’s account such as Outlook to access both the accounts together on one device. The process of setting up a Protonmail email account on any of the discussed devices can be difficult for you if you are not a technical person. To make the email setup process as easy as pie, we have brought an amazing guide for you. We have encompassed step-by-step methods to configure Protonmail settings into some of the most used devices.
How to Configure Protonmail Settings on Android?
Implement the steps mentioned below and enter the correct hostnames, port values, and rest of the email settings in the right place to complete the setup of your Protonmail account.
Note: The steps mentioned below are general in nature. They may vary from version to version.
- Launch the Email, Gmail, or Mail application on your Android device.
- On the Mail home screen, navigate towards the ‘Menu’ option in the corner of the screen and click on it to expand its options.
- From there, click on the ‘Settings’ tab.
- On the ‘Settings’ screen, hover over the ‘Add Account’ to set up your Protonmail account.
- Under the ‘Setup Email’ section, choose the ‘Other’ option.
- Enter the required details as mentioned below and complete the ‘Login Information’ process.
- Protonmail.com email address
- Now, hit on the ‘Manual Setup’ button on the same screen.
- Then, click on your preferred server type for your Protonmail email account. We suggest you choose the ‘IMAP account’ over the ‘POP3 account’.
- Click on the ‘IMAP – Incoming Mail Service’ and type down the enlisted email settings to enable the incoming mail service of your Protonmail account.
|IMAP Server Hostname||127.0.0.1|
|Port Value (Secure)||1143|
- Uncheck the box in front of ‘Security type’ and set it as ‘None’. After this, click on the ‘Next’ button and done with the Protonmail email IMAP settings.
- Similarly, you will have to enter Protonmail email SMTP settings for enabling the outgoing mail services of your email account. Hence, enter the following details in the required spaces:
|SMTP Server Hostname||127.0.0.1|
|Port Value (Secure)||1025|
- Set ‘Security type’ to ‘None’ for the outgoing mail server as well and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Set the frequency of the email check to ‘15 minutes’. You can set it as per your preference as well.
- Provide your ‘Name’ for your ‘Protonmail account’ that will be displayed on the ‘Accounts’ section of your Android Mail application.
- After you are done with all, click on the ‘Done’ button and complete the setup.
Congratulations! Once you have correctly entered the email address, password, hostname, port values in their respective tabs, your Protonmail account will be configured. Now, you can enjoy emailing from your Android device whenever you want.
How to Set Up Protonmail on iPhone?
You can access the Protonmail email account on your iPhone device just by configuring its email settings on it. So, what are you waiting for? Follow the steps one by one and set up your account:
- Open the ‘Mail, Contacts, and Calendars’ tab by clicking on the ‘Mail’ tab for the ‘Settings’ expanded options.
- Under the ‘iCloud’ tab, you will see the ‘Add Account’ option, by clicking on it you can begin setting up your account.
- Now, click on ‘Other’ as you can see that ‘Protonmail email’ is not given in the email providers list.
- Again, tap on ‘Add Mail Account’ and write down the Protonmail email login credentials in the enlisted order.
- Whether this is your business account or personal account, write a ‘Description’ in the required box and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Protonmail email account exists in two server types: IMAP or POP3. Choose one among the options as the server type of your email account and proceed.
- We have preferred the IMAP Account type and keeping the same in mind, here are the email settings you must enter in their required spaces:
- After entering the Protonmail settings for the incoming server, enter the following details as your outgoing email settings.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button to submit the hostnames for incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- After clicking on the ‘Save’ button you will be taken to the first page that is ‘Settings’. Select ‘Protonmail account’ that you have recently added.
- Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab to enter the rest of the Protonmail settings. Then, type down the following details:
|Authentication||Yes: Account Password|
|Incoming Server Port Value||1143|
- Navigate towards ‘Outgoing mail server’ and enter the following settings:
|Authentication||Yes: Account Password|
|Incoming Server Port Value||1025|
Click on the ‘Done’ button to save the Protonmail email server settings and complete the setup. After a while, you will see a “Congrats! Your email account has been set up.” message on your iPhone screen.
How to Configure Protonmail Settings on Outlook?
To balance our professional and personal lives, we often create two email accounts. But we always fail to keep a balance between both. Here is a quick solution that will enable you to access both Outlook and Protonmail email accounts together in one place. Follow the enlisted instructions and configure the right Protonmail email Outlook settings.
Note: Whether you are looking for Protonmail settings for Outlook 2010 or 2007 or any other versions, this general in nature method will come in handy.
- Open any computing device or smartphone and start Microsoft Outlook software on it.
- Make sure the display is set on the ‘Window’ mode for better convenience. Click on the ‘File’ tab found in the upper-right corner.
- Once the File menu option drops down, tap on the ‘Add Account’ option.
- There are two ways to set up a Protonmail email account, automatic and manual. Click on the ‘Manual Setup or Additional Server Types’ option.
Note: Although the automatic method is easier and quicker. But there are chances that your device cannot configure the Protonmail settings correctly. Hence, later on, you can face trouble in receiving and sending emails from this device.
- Select the ‘IMAP’ option and connect your Protonmail Outlook account to an IMAP Server.
- Click on the ‘Continue’ button and land on the ‘POP and IMAP Account Settings’ page.
- Here, at first, finish the ‘User Information’ and then enter the ‘Server Information’ as mentioned below:
|Your Name||Protonmail Name|
|Account Type for an Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server||IMAP|
|Incoming Mail Server Hostname||127.0.0.1|
|Outgoing Mail Server Hostname||127.0.0.1|
- You will have to complete the ‘Login Information’ again. Enter the required details:
Note: Check the ‘Remember password’ box.
- Click on the ‘No’ option when the “Require logon using secure password authentication” message pops on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button and complete the manual configuration of the Protonmail email account by clicking on the ‘Done’ button.
If the ‘SMTP server error’ pops on your screen, you will have to enter the Protonmail server port values manually. Follow the enlisted steps.
- Click on the ‘POP and IMAP email settings’ and navigate towards ‘Incoming port value’ and enter ‘1143’.
- Navigate towards the ‘Outgoing port value’ and enter ‘1025’.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button and the ‘Done’ tab.
Here you go! Your Protonmail email account has been set up on your Outlook profile. Now, you can send and receive emails from both accounts at the same time.
After following the entire guide, we hope you must have learned how to configure Protonmail settings on the most used devices such as Android, iPhone, and Outlook. In case, you cannot access the Protonmail Login screen, Learn here how to manage your account well.